Although Vrienden op de Fiets is a rather large foundation, our ‘club’ of Friends and guest addresses has a cosy, small-scale feel to it. We cherish this feeling, which is based on some friendly ground rules. The most important are listed below.
- stay with private guest addresses, these should not be confused with a Bed & Breakfast, Airbnb or a hotel.
- become part of their hosts’ life during their stay and respect their hosts' house rules.
- can count on a freshly made, good quality bed of standard dimensions.
- sleep in a fire-safe room (with a window) that is accessible via permanent stairs.
- may use the shower and toilet, private or shared with members of the family.
- are given the use of clean towels.
- do not smoke at our guest addresses, or may occasionally be allowed to smoke outside but only when your hosts agree.
- can park their bicycles in a lockable shed.
- can expect a simple and energising breakfast in the morning.
- stay overnight for the special Friends' price after showing their valid Friend card. They can travel on one card with the person they live together with, children up to the age of 18 that still live at home and (great) grandchildren. In all other cases, each Friend needs to show their own Friend card.
What do guest addresses expect from Friends?
- arrive by cycle or on foot (canoers, rowers or skaters are also welcome and any other travellers using their own muscle power).
- do not arrive by car, unless your hosts agree beforehand that you can start your biking or hiking trip from their address.
- make a reservation by telephone or email in advance.
- stay one night.
- arrive at the end of the afternoon and depart again early next morning.
'Vrienden op de Fiets is for people who know that friendship has to come from two sides. People who enjoy turning their overnight stay into a pleasant encounter'.
Making reservations and arrival
- always mention their Friend number, name and address when making a reservation.
- discuss the desired arrival and departure times beforehand, and any special requests like bringing children or pets.
- always show their Vrienden op de Fiets card and proof of identity on arrival, even if their hosts do not require this. It is good practice and creates trust.
Prices, payments and optional extras
- Friends can stay overnight for €22.50 per person, including breakfast.
- Overnight stay per child up to 12 years old: €12.50
- Cancellation less than 24 hours prior to arrival: €11.25
- Friends pay their guest address for the overnight stay, preferably on arrival, in cash or with an app like Google Pay or the Dutch Tikkie.
All prices are exclusive tourist tax, a local tax that varies per municipality. In the big cities, this tax can amount to as much as €10 per person per night.
Some hosts may offer something extra. The following target prices apply:
Charging e-bike: €0.50
Packed lunch: €5
In case of a disappointment
Is your stay a real disappointment? Please try to solve the problem together first. In general, the foundation can do very little to resolve disputes, especially afterwards. Do you feel that your guest address flouts all our rules? Then please call or email our help desk.
Dutch, Belgian and German memberships are valid from 1 January till 31 December and are automatically extended. Would you like to cancel your membership? Please do so before the 1st of December of the current calendar year. For other countries, memberships are valid for one year only and will end automatically at the end of the calendar year.
Enjoy your trip!